Monday, May 18, 2009

Break glass in case of emergency

This is a long description so bear with me. My dad is an artist. In my early years he was in college going after his degree, so he had many projects in different subjects and mediums. One of them was the red box. The red box was simple on the outside with just a window in the middle of the front to look in. What you saw in the inside was a woman pounding on the window while sirens and flashing lights were going on around her. Looking in you could see the words, "Break glass in case of emergency" and she could see she was trying to break the glass but couldn't. It was meant to be a statement about women being trapped in a box and not being able to break through the glass ceiling of life.

To say I was scared of it as a child would be an understandment. My memories of it was when I was about 4 years old. It was probably the loud noise and the desperate woman inside struck me as literal woman trapped in a fire that worried me. My dad, realizing that it bothered me so much took me with him to the junk yard to have it destroyed so I would see that it was gone.

Day 15 of 365

Uploaded by Sarah.Mitt's 365 on 18 May 09, 9.13AM PDT.

1 comment: