Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Being happy again.

Me going on about Doctor Who, not my usual stuff, probably only interesting to a very few.



Background:


I remember where I was when Peter Capaldi was announced as the new Doctor Who. I was at my Ex's parents house. My ex and I were in the process of breaking up and not hanging out. His parents still had invited me over for Sunday dinner though as I was living near them and thousands of miles away from my own family. I was hanging out in a spare bedroom, being left alone before dinner, I can't remember if my ex came over that night, I wanna say no. My ex and I had been friends, dated, engaged, within a week of our wedding, called it off, broken up, and reunited over the course of 15 years.  This time, things were really ending badly and the final argument ended with me telling him not to speak to me again which I hadn't done before.  I moved back across the country to be with my family again and move on.


But back to being alone in the spare bedroom. I had my lap top and was watching Twitter and the official Doctor Who account for the announcement.  I set the twitter trends to London and had imdb open, ready to find the actor's page since I knew there was a good chance I wouldn't know the actor. I was right about that. Later the televised announcement was put on You Tube and I was able to watch that and see a bit of this new Doctor. I remember being glad he was older and immediately loved his humor,(The story about not being able to tell his daughter) the way he engaged with the audience, and what I loved most of all was the letter to the Radio Times showing he had been a fan as a teen. (I would later learn, as we all did, about how passionate he was about Doctor Who...)

Somehow I had missed the Fires of Pompeii so I was able to watch that episode later that night, so that was fun.  But things would not remain fun in my life as break ups tend to do.
As expected, the break up left me not caring about dating and certainly didn't feel strings of non-familial love for much.

I was able to enjoy the 50th special of Doctor Who so much. At this point I no longer had cable tv and anyway Doctor Who had moved from a cheaper cable channel to a higher tier one. I had to buy the 50th special on iTunes. I was thrilled to see Tom Baker had been in it because he had been my first Doctor and, as they do, left a special place in my heart.  But I also thought it was pretty cool that the new Doctor was in it, however briefly.

I knew I was depressed and was just letting it happen and figured since I was doing well enough to get out of bed, I was doing okay. Season 8 of modern Doctor Who started and I didn't have the money to buy it on iTunes and I don't illegally download content.  I read Doctor Who memes online and got myself spoiled for the season but I didn't mind.  After many months I knew I should get back into things I loved, to help cheer myself up. I decided to watch modern Doctor Who from the beginning on Netflix. Soon after I started that rewatch, season 8 of Doctor Who arrived on Netflix.  By now, my depression was something I was use to.
Things were getting better in my life but I didn't feel motivated to be happy.  I decided to skip ahead in my Doctor Who rewatch to watch season 8. I was tired of meeting a fellow Whovian and saying I hadn't seen the new Doctor yet. It didn't take long for me to fall in love with the new Doctor. I had seen meme's about his eyebrows but I hadn't known that he actually called them attack eyebrows.  By a few episodes in I was writing to a sister in law about how much I loved this new Doctor. Then I started to look for interview clips on you tube with him. Thats when I found the Graham Norton episode where its revealed how much of a Doctor Who fan he really was. I ran through season 8 quickly, trying to stretch out the time I had with it but at the same time wanting to see more. Then I found out that season 9 was coming out on Saturday. So I finished s8 on Netflix and preordered s9 on iTunes as now I had the money to do so.

Saturday I was feeling so Twitterpated, my adrenaline was pumping, I was happy and a smile came easily to my face at the thought of seeing more Doctor that night. As I walked into work, a car almost ran into me, the shock and surprise only added to my rapid heart beat. Around 4:30am I woke up(As thats about the time I knew it would be available on iTunes), downloaded the new episode on to my iPad and was so in love with the beginning. Later I'd show people who hadn't seen 12 at all s9 to begin with and introduce 12 to them that way, because it was way more awesome then Deep Breath allowed. I loved season 9 so much. Suddenly I was happy again. Looking forward to the days again. I let myself be happy.

The Christmas Special happen. The Husbands of River Song. I loved River and my favorite 11th Doctor episode was when she revealed herself as Amy's & Rory's daughter.  Before I watched it I reminded myself of all of River catchphrases. But I quickly stopped looking for them as I got involved in the episode, which was so fun. Then the "Hello, Sweetie" came and my heart melted. I've never felt that way from a Doctor Who episode before. I loved the episode. Once I had watched it I had to rush to work and work a long shift and I remember thinking while at work when things were tough, I'll be able to go home and watch THoRS again. And I did. I loved it so much.  I needed someone to talk to about it.  One of my sister in laws had seen it but was working a lot. Another, would not see it till I could show it to her in a few weeks. I went to Twitter and started looking at hash tags for people talking about it. Thats when I found the fan girls and a new era in my fandom life began. Just two months later one of them would retweet a link that Peter Capaldi would be coming to Washington D.C. for a convention in June. My home.

No comments: